Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Recipe: French Onion Soup Burger!

Hey everyone!
I fell like it has been awhile since I have posted a recipe. And what's better than a healthy, juice, tasty burger....maybe a fresh batch of cookies! Yum! But back to the burger. I created this recipe because I love French Onion Soup and I wanted to take those flavors and put it into a burger. I made this burger with ground turkey, but you can used whatever ground meat of your choice, chicken or beef would be great here.
French Onion Soup Burger w/ Roasted Sweet Potatoes

It turned out better than I expected! My boyfriend Travis even called it "A Fan Favorite". LOL He's one of my biggest fans. He even suggested that we start doing burger nights, which sounds like fun to me. Next time tho, I will let the onions cook a little bit longer because I wanted them to be more caramelized.  

The Ingredients
Ingredients:
2- large sweet onions (sliced)
2- garlic cloves (chopped)
1- packet of onion soup mix
1-tbsp of dried thyme
1/2- chicken bouillon cube
1-tbsp of organic tomato paste (optional and not pictured)
1-pound of extra lean ground turkey
Non stick cooking spray
2- slices of reduced fat swiss cheese
*2-slices of reduced fat pepper jack cheese (not pictured)
**1- extra large sweet potato
salt and pepper to taste 

This recipe yields 4 servings
* Travis requested to have his burger with pepper jack cheese. It's his favorite. But you can just stick to the Swiss because it is traditional to onion soups. Well Gruyere cheese is a type of Swiss...right?
** I happened to have an extra large sweet potatoes on hand. Use two regular sized potatoes if that is what you have.

Directions/ Step by step photos:
Step One: slice up your onions. Heat a saute pan and spray with cooking spray. Add the onions, the thyme, and some salt and pepper. 
Step Two: Now cut your sweet potato into cubes.Place in a sprayed pyrex pan, add salt and pepper. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20- 25 minutes.
I did spray the pan with cooking spray, but I suggest also using foil to line the pan also. It was not easy getting these suckers off of the pan!
Step Three: Now prepare your onion soup mix by adding 1/4 cup of water to your packet.
Step Four: Now add the ground turkey into a large mixing bowl. Also add in your onion soup mixture, and the chopped garlic.

Step Five: Now mix that all together, and form into four patties. Cook the burgers on your indoor grill or outdoor grill if you have one.

Just a tip! Make a dimple in the middle of your burger. So that when it cooks and plumps up in the middle, you won't get a bulgy burger. Learned that one from Rachael Ray =)

Remember we are cooking poultry, so no medium rare here. Make sure your meat is well done!

Step Six: By now your onions should have started to get nice and wilted. Now its time to add in the 1/2 chicken bouillon cubed and 1/4 cup of water.

 Step Seven: Now add your cheese, kill the heat to your grill, and let things melt.

Step Eight: At this point I added some organic tomato paste to my onions to add color. You don't have to do this, but I did because I didn't want to wait for the onions to caramelize. I was really hungry by this point.

It should look something like this.
Step Nine: Add your burger patty to the bun of your choice. Whole wheat is best, but whatever you have on hand is fine. Top your burger with your onions and serve roasted sweet potatoes along side of it.
Voila! Looks De-Lish! (Another Rachael Ray reference)

I hope you give this recipe a try! Enjoy!

To Health, Love, and Happiness,

2 comments:

  1. I love turkey burgers also. Good luck on your healthy eating. And you have an adorable baby. Please feel free to visit my blog. Maybe you will find some ideas to add to your menus of healthy eating.
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhhh OMG!!!...massive jelly um I think you are gonna have to make this when your down for christmas :)

    ReplyDelete

Followers